Polyethylene (HDPE) materials are resistant against water and chemicals. Black PE materials are suitable for outdoor use as it has UV resistance due to carbon additives.
HDPE materials have been widely used in recent years due to water resistance properties.
Advantages of HDPE materials in boat production can be listed as below:
- Longer service life than other materials used in boat production.
- Higher impact resistance and crack propagation resistance.
- Dimentional stability in humid areas due to low water absorption property.
- No corrosion problem which is observed with metals.
- More economic than steel and aluminum materials due to lighter weight.
- Dirt-resistant, non-toxic content and easy to clean.
- Flexibility and low rigidity even at low temperature due to working temperature range between – 80 and + 80 °C.